- This thoroughly readable, research-based book covers all the bases—including, social, neurological, emotional, academic, cultural and physical factors that impact the emotional climate of a school, and how safe schools feel to the people who spend their time there.
* safety and the brain
* childhood stress, coping, and compention
* body and mind
* violence in kids’ lives
* the changing role of school
* the need for community
* the school as a dysfunctional family
* failure, discrimination, and belonging
* testing and feedback
* temperament and labels
* different ways of learning and being “smart”
* discipline and behavioral issues
* resiliency and social competence
* the physical environment
* teacher safety, training and support
* the role of the administrator
* parents and community
Discover the many contributing factors in this groundbreaking sourcebook on emotional safety in schools, with research, facts, and personal anecdotes capable of changing the state of education.
Raves for Creating Emotionally Safe Schools - What People Are Saying about this Book
- With practical ideas and honest cautions, this book encompasses a wide range of helpful topics including an exploration of what keeps so many schools rooted in win-lose philosophies and practices, personal assets that will increase the odds of your survival and success, and specifc strategies for winning in a win-lose system.
Becoming a Win-Win Teacher will help you become a welcome, established, and effective member of a school community—without sacrificing your personality, intentions, or ideals.
For people entering the field of education today, whether straight out of college as a first career, or mid-career switchers coming to education later in life, with topics and tips relevant and helpful for veterans as well—especially those working in a lead teacher, support provider, or mentor for newcomers to the classroom.
The book includes handy charts, self-assessment surveys, planning pages, and activity sheets. For all grade levels and for anyone working in a school setting, this book is also a great resource for college professors and seminar or study group leaders. A great companion book to The Win-Win Classroom.
- An essential guidebook for anyone teaching college courses or leading training programs on classroom management. Help teachers establish win-win authority relationships with students and improve the overall climate in their classrooms, schools, and districts!
Based on Dr. Bluestein’s book, The Win-Win Classroom, this guide gives staff developers and workshop leaders the tools to facilitate book study groups, seminars, and professional development events to help teachers prevent discipline problems, build student accountability, end frustrating power struggles, improve school climate, reduce failure and improve achievement, accommodate a wide range of learner preferences, and create a positive social culture with kids of all ages.
- The Facilitator’s Guide to The Win-Win Classroom is ideal for college course instructors, staff developers, or anyone leading professional training for groups of any size—including study groups, small workshops, or large seminars.